Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

the holidays are over, but the sparkle lives on.

One of my favorite, timeless fashion trends is the burst of sequins and sparkle that come every year in late November and last until New Years Eve.

 The holidays are all about the sparkle. A cocktail dress coated in sequins at any other time of the year may seem gaudy but is incredibly appropriate during the holidays.



Unfortunately, after New Years comes and goes, wearing sequins kinda feels like wearing white jeans after labor day.

Take this top for example:

I love this Target top I got on clearance this fall. It was a great, comfy, SOFT piece to throw on with jeans and boots during the holiday season. But now, barely a day after the holiday season ended, it feels a bit dated. 

Instead of pushing it into the depths of my closet, I tried to find some pieces that could take the sequins out of the holidays.


I tucked the sequin shirt into an LC: Lauren Conrad blush knee-length skirt I had to give it a lighter, almost springy feel. I also paired it with a simple, pendant necklace (by Jewelmint). This gives the holiday sequins a structured, on-trend look. 

I also paired the outfit with my beloved Shoemint leopard print booties, simple drop earrings, and a chunky, statement watch. 

For a more professional look, I added a long (and warm!) trench, and paired with a simpler shoe and accessories. 


but..

If you're not a skirt girl, I think this top (or whatever your holiday sequin top looks like!) could be made reusable by tucking it into cigarette jeans (colorful ones would be tres chic!), a skinny animal print belt, and some simple flats. If your holiday sparkles are less fitted than mine, and tucking looks tres silly, I'd recommend wide-leg trousers with a more flowy top, chunky wrist wear, statement flats, and a fitted blazer. The possibilities are endless! 

The moral of this post is to not trade in your holiday-wear just yet and go shopping for a better model. Transition the pieces into January and early spring. 

Take a cue from the ex-Mrs. Humphries


or the frequently bedazzled ex-Mrs. Brand


(maybe there will be less celebrity divorce in 2012..)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love how you styled the Jewelmint pieces. More of that and post on the JM page, please!!!!!!