Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

the feather trend: leave it in 2011?

Feathers. I don't know about you, but I was totally on board. Last year I bought feathery earrings, and this summer I put those feather extensions in my hair. I loved everything about it.


But if this picture tells us anything, the feather trend is feeling a bit…. dated. 


But what if you're like me, and you have a (jewelry) wardrobe somewhat devoted to this past trend? 

I took two pairs of my feahter-y earrings, and tried to style them and make them wearable without seeming "so last year." 

The first is the Wing It earrings froJewelmint


These big, dramatic purple and brown feathers are the closest I can get to GOOP's without a celebrity price tag. Instead of dressing them up, I decided to downplay them and style them more casually. 


A nice, everyday outfit. My Stylemint Lenox tee, a old Old Navy scarf in similar colors, Lauren Conrad leggings, and Old Navy riding boots. 

I used to love showing off my feathers, but I think downplaying them as a subdued accessory helps keep them on-trend and keeps you from looking dated. Add your feathers to your favorite go-to casual outfit (stripes and scarves are always a safe bet) to keep them wearable. 

I have another beautiful pair of feathers from the Plume Delight Etsy shop


I decided to let the peacock colors pop by pairing them with muted colors.

I paired my Plume Delight feathers with a simple t-shirt with lace detailing and my trusty cowboy boots (every Southern girl needs 'em!) I also added a simple gold bracelet, so I could accessorize but not over-accessorize.

So, my advice for feathers in 2012 is to keep it simple. Instead of being the center-of-attention, as they were in 2011, use them as simple, pretty, and soft accents to your everyday casual outfits. 

Much like Jessica Biel does


But if you can't let the trend go, I have to admit I love RHOBH Taylor's big, glamourous peacock earrings! So big! So colorful! So Housewive-y! 













No comments: